Mayor Dwight C. Jones was elected to the 2012 Board of Directors of the National League of Cities (NLC) on Saturday, November 12, at the conclusion of the Congress of Cities and Exposition in Phoenix, AZ. NLC’s Board meets throughout the year and leads the organization by shaping policies and priorities and directing the advocacy, research and membership activities of NLC.
“Being elected to serve the nations’ cities and towns is a high honor,” said Mayor Jones. “I have been actively involved on the board of Virginia Municipal League, and I have a great appreciation for the power local officials have when our collective voices come together on critical issues.”
NLC also elected new officers for the coming year, including Bluffton, IN, Mayor Ted Ellis as President; Avondale, AZ, Mayor Marie Lopez Rogers as First Vice President; and Saint Paul, MN, Mayor Chris Coleman as Second Vice President.
In addition, 22 other new board members were elected during the meeting. The full Board consists of 40 local elected officials and state municipal league directors.
Elected to the Board of Directors for two-year terms:
· Dwight C. Jones, Mayor, Richmond, VA
· Tennell Atkins, Council Member, Dallas, TX
· David Baker, Mayor, Kenmore, WA
· Dan Besse, Council Member, Winston-Salem, NC
· Nancy J. Chaney, Mayor, Moscow, ID
· Sandra Colvin Roy, Council Member, Minneapolis, MN
· Richard Byrd Conlin, Councilmember, Seattle, WA
· Joy Cooper, Mayor, Hallandale Beach, FL
· Doug Echols, Mayor, Rock Hill, SC
· Dennis Kavanaugh, Councilmember, Mesa, AZ
· Kevin J. Kramer, Councilman, Louisville, KY
· Randon K. Lane, Mayor, Murrieta, CA
· Garret Nancolas, Mayor, Caldwell, ID
· Robert D. Newell, Mayor, Parkersburg, W.VA
· Bernita Sims, Council Member, High Point, NC
· Betty L. Taylor, Council President, Eugene, OR
· Matt Zone, Council Member, Cleveland, OH
Elected to the Board of Directors for a one-year term:
Murry K. Witcher, Alderman, North Little Rock, AR
Jesse Matthews, Council Member, Bessemer, AL
State Municipal League Directors elected to the Board:
· Peter Baynes, New York State Conference of Mayors and Municipal Officials
· Mike McCarty, Association of Washington Cities
· Yvonne Taylor, South Dakota Municipal League
· George Wright, Delaware League of Local Governments
The National League of Cities is dedicated to helping city leaders build better communities. NLC is a resource and advocate for 19,000 cities, towns and villages, representing more than 218 million Americans.