Tuesday, January 10, 2017

New Mayor Levar M. Stoney


Levar M. Stoney was sworn in as Richmond's 80th mayor Saturday, Dec. 31 in a ceremony at City Hall in City Council chambers.
 
Mayor Stoney, Richmond's youngest ever mayor at age 35, was sworn in by Judge David M. Hicks in a brief ceremony that was officiated by the Rev. Tyrone Nelson and attended by members of his extended family and close friends, as well as members of City Council and Gov. Terry McAuliffe and his wife, Dorothy.

In personal remarks following his swearing-in, the Mayor paid tribute to his late father and grandmother and thanked all the extended family members, teachers, coaches and mentors who have inspired him growing up and during his career in public service.

"These are people I consider my family," the Mayor said. "And I think moving forward today, the city of Richmond is my family."

"There is no secret formula to this, no secret recipe, but to work hard to every single day and pour my time, my energy, my life into everything I do," the Mayor continued.

"That's the way that my father wanted it, my grandmother wanted it, and that's the only way I know how to do it.

"I am humbled by this opportunity to lead our city and grateful for many, many children who look like me, who have similar circumstances I have, who may never get this opportunity," the Mayor said.

"I think it's our job to ensure that they all have an opportunity to rise to that occasion. I know, God willing, you all will help me ensure that they get that opportunity. Thank you all so much.

"Let's make it happen."